Parents' Bill of Rights
Pursuant to Education Law Section 2-d, the Floral Park-Bellerose School District (“District”) hereby sets forth the following Parents’ Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security,
- A student’s personally identifiable information (PII) cannot be sold or released for any commercial purpose. Every use of personally identifiable information by the educational agency shall benefit students and the educational agency. Nor will the information be included in public reports or other documents;
- Authorized Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child’s education record within the time frame provided for by EdLaw 121.12 part 5.
- State and Federal laws protect the confidentiality of personally identifiable information (as defined under Education Law Section 2-d(d)), and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred;
- A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State is available for public review at http://www.p12.nysed.gov/ or by writing to the Office of Information & Reporting Services, New York State Education Department, Room 863 EBA, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234;
- Parents have the right to have complaints about possible breaches of student data addressed. Complaints should be directed to Daniel Cunneely, Data Privacy Officer, Floral Park-Bellerose UFSD,1 Poppy Place, Floral Park, New York 11001 at 516-434-2745 or email@example.com or Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York, email to CPO@mail.nysed.gov.Upon receipt of complaint the district will promptly acknowledge and commence an investigation, and take the necessary precautions to protect any personally identifiable information. The district will provide notification to the affected parent, eligible student, teacher or principal by first-class mail to their last known address; by email; or by telephone.
- Each contract the District enters into with a third party contractor where the third party contractor receives student data, or teacher or principal data, shall include the following supplemental information:
- The exclusive purpose for which the student data, or teacher or principal data, will be used;
- How the third party contractor will ensure that the subcontractors, persons or entities that the third party contractor will share the student data or teacher or principal data with, if any, will abide by the data protection and security requirements;
- When the agreement expires and what happens to the student data or teacher or principal data upon expiration of the agreement;
- If and how a parent, student eligible student, teacher or principal may challenge the accuracy of the student data or teacher or principal data that is collected; and
- Where the student data or teacher or principal data will be stored (described in such a manner as to protect data security), and the security protections taken to ensure such data will be protected, including whether such data will be encrypted.
- The Parents’ Bill of Rights shall be subject to change pursuant to the direction from the New York State Education Department Chief Privacy Officer, and the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education.
Should any part of the document be invalidated by a court all other parts shall remain validas laid out by EdLaw 2D part 121.14